Five Parsecs From Home: Setting Course for the Kydonian Verge
I've been following Matthew's Five Parsecs From Home campaign over on Bedroom Battlefields for a while now, and it inspired me to take a closer look at the game myself. The idea of a solo campaign system really appealed to me, since it would allow me to play at my own pace and focus on the narrative aspects of the game (and cram in as many references as I can to a variety of pop culture franchises).
For those unfamiliar with the game, Five Parsecs From Home (or 5PFH) is a solo narrative tabletop wargame set in a sci-fi universe where you assemble a ragtag crew and undertake dangerous missions across a variety of worlds.
After picking up the rulebook, my desire to start a campaign of my own only grew. In fact, getting into Five Parsecs From Home was one of the reasons I launched this blog, since I wanted a place to chronicle the adventures of my crew. I knew from the start that I wanted to invent my own setting for my campaign, and after throwing ideas around for a while I came up with a lawless sector on the edge of the galaxy known as the Kydonian Verge.
I recently bought a box of Scavengers and a box of Mercenaries from the Stargrave range, and I'll be using these to build my crew, along with any other miniatures I might need for the campaign.
I'm planning to use a lot of my existing models from Warhammer 40,000 to represent enemies and other characters, and I'll use my terrain collection to represent the various worlds my crew will visit. My 3D printer will no doubt come in handy as well, since I can use it to print things that the various scenarios require, such as a computer terminal or similar objectives.
Looking Ahead
The campaign will be called On the Verge, and I'll be playing on the Easy Difficulty Mode, with the Victory Condition being to play twenty campaign turns. This blog will serve as a campaign log where I'll chronicle the (mis)adventures of my crew. I have made a rough plan for the first entries in the campaign log:
The first entry in the series will introduce the Kydonian Verge, the setting where the campaign takes place. I will present a brief outline of the history, factions and geography (or astrography?) of this remote sector of space.
The second entry will present my crew and their backstory. I'm planning to generate the crew randomly, apart from my captain, who will have a pre-selected backstory and attributes.
The third entry will be a modelling article where I describe how I built and converted the different characters of my crew.
The fourth entry will be another hobby article, but this time about painting the crew.
Once the miniatures are done, the campaign can finally start. I'm going to do a prologue scenario (the fifth entry) where the crew will face their baptism by fire, followed by Campaign Turn One in the sixth entry.
Comments
Post a Comment